Saturday 22 October 2016

MAKING OF A 'PROFESSIONAL DREAMER-PERFORMER' AT THE UNIVERSITY OF HYDERABAD !


This note is for all aspiring buds who wish to take Dance/Performing arts as career.

When I decided to join HCU, I didn't know what a Central University is !! My Amma exhorted me to take up the course(PG in Dance) if and only if I get through the arduous Entrance test, Practical exam and the Interview at #hcu. Even after cracking them, I was wondering what's so special about the MPA there, what makes it different from all other universities(distant/regular) which gives MA in dance. To be frank, I was constantly down when I saw many of my friends acquiring a similar degree with much lesser efforts (even by attending classes once in 2 months or so.) I still remember the way Aswathy Bhavani explained about the structure of our course, although I grasped only the "dancing" part of it.

But today I jot down my experience at the Department of Dance, HCU with at most happiness and pride. They are absolutely unalike in standards, I would say.
The course provided insight into more intellectual components which helped me to upscale and consolidate the theoretical aspects of Arts. We got the unique opportunity to explore creatively how Performing Arts can be developed as a discipline and applied to the world at large, as a way of thinking and conceptualizing business, as an educational tool, as a pure artistic endeavor and so on. We started thinking of Dance as both an autonomous art form and as something that can have a range of applications in the world.

And the most important part is that, the daunting task of learning a different perspective towards Dance made me aware of my ignorance !! The more I learnt, the more I realized I don't know. The department taught 'When you know a thing, to hold that you know it, and when you do not know a thing, to allow that you do not know it and learn it'

All my thanks to the most important person in my life- My Amma Jyothy Sasikumar , Devichechi who influenced Amma to send me there(in 2008) the professors who profoundly altered the whole course of my life Dr.Anuradha Jonnalagadda, Dr. Sivaraju MunagapatiDr. Aruna Bhikshu+Harimohan Paruvu  and all the visiting scholars.

1 comment:

  1. Hyderabad Events Website gives complete information about upcoming events, food festivals, science conferences, youth seminars, movie summits & fashion programs. Watch Today!
    https://www.hyderabadevents.com/

    ReplyDelete